Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fitness and Me: I am RUNNING!!!


I think that I can now officially say that I have actively stuck to my new year’s resolution this year, which is a first for me. I had some specific goals that fell to the way side however due to time and financial restraints but in the broadest sense I have done it. I set out on a new year resolution last December and my goal was to successfully get into a better shape. So I am very aware that fitness is probably one of the most common goals ever but I actually did it.

Sure I am still a little round in the center but hell if I am not in a much better shape and still working towards being better. As always I am looking towards the future, even if I am taking a moment to look back and see how far I have come, and I am making plans. I am not going to lie and say it was easy and I am very fortunate to have people in my life who are willing to give me so much help.

This morning I took a step forward that got delayed in my master plan for fitness and self improvement. I had originally planned that next month a few friends and I were going to travel down to the state of Washington and take part in a 5k obstacle course known as the warrior dash ( read my post about it here: Warrior Dash). Due to forgetfulness and most of the people falling off the fitness wagon we didn’t end up going which makes me sad but there is always next year. I had planned to run a 5k and a 10k before that race and that never came to fruition ether.

Now I am pushing forward with my original plans and this morning I signed up for two races to complete in the next few months.

The first run I will be doing is a 5 kilometer charity run for breast cancer at the end of September called Run for a Cure. This is a run to raise funds for breast cancer research, even though I am paying the base fee and not looking for .Judging by how I am doing currently in my training I am confident that I will be able to complete it. I can say with conviction that I know I will not place first or even third but that is not the point I just want for one day to look back and say I did that.

Read more Here: Run For The Cure


The second run will be a little bit longer being an 8 Kilometer fun run for charity this time it is a different charity this run is called the Sight Night Fun Run. This run is for a different charity called the ASRAB, which stands for the Alberta Sports and Recreation for the Blind. This run will take place on Saturday the 17th of November which is actually three days after my 23rd birthday. This run will probably be fairly cold but being a snow boarder I should have no problem fighting off the bitter cold. There is actually a catch to this run the entire thing will take place after the sun has set behind the mountains and in the dark. This one promises to be a challenge for me and I plan to push through it with strength and determination.

Read More Here: Sight Night


I am very lucky that I am not doing this alone ether aside from my beautiful Wifey cheering me on I will have a partner at my side. My favorite ginger is helping me to achieve my goal by stepping me up and joining me on my fitness journey. It really helps me to know that I am not running my first or even second race on my own, it is moments like these that I realize how great my friends truly are.
I am super excited to take these steps forward in my life and I know that one day I will look back and say look at what I did. I may not be pledging but if you could make a donation to ether charity I know it will make you feel better to do your part.

Sincerely Urban Yeti

p.s. Don’t forget to vote for the food section name change there are only two days left to do so and it is located in the upper right part of the side bar

No comments:

Post a Comment