Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cooking Concoctions: Canada Day A Little Late


I realized that while I took my break I missed out on being able to post one of the things that I cooked up. I missed out posting for Canada day and for this I feel very ashamed of myself that I fell out of my groove and was not able to post one of my recipes. Now I suppose that I could put this on the back burner and save until the next go around but I feel that would not be in my best interest.

So here it is My awesome Canada Day Dessert

I just call it a dessert because I don’t know what else to call it and it is a treat for even the pickiest of sweet tooth. It is possibly one of the easiest things to make and the only negative part of it is that it takes a fair amount of time to actually make it and that is mostly due to the time it takes for the jello to set. This does not have a whole lot of ingredients needed to make it so it is pretty good on a budget

Before I get started bear in mind that I made a double recipe so mine turned out a lot bigger than the one I am describing.


1 Pack of Cherry Jello
2 Packs of Strawberry Jello
2 Cups of strawberries (maybe more depending on the size of the strawberries)
1 tub of Cool Whip
Water as described on the Jello Packs

Step one in all of this is to take one cup of strawberries and cut them into small chunks. I know what you are thinking one cup but you said two so shouldn’t I be cutting all of them. The answer is NO those will come into play at a later point so put them aside and gently set the knife down so as not to hurt anyone.

Ok now that the knife is out of reach of children let us begin Step Two, make BOTH packages of the strawberry Jello as instructed on the side of the box minus the part about letting it set. Before we get to the letting it set part add the cut up strawberries to the mixture and spread it evenly into a rectangular casserole dish.

Now put it in the fridge and let it set, this will take some time so don’t sit there and watch it. Leave it alone go away somewhere and do something else for about an hour to an hour and a half. Now whatever you do, do not put it in the freezer this will not end well I know what you are thinking but wont that make it go faster. The answer to that is NO all that will happen is the water will freeze and separate from the Jello.

Ok so once that is nicely set you can start Step Four, yes Step Three was the waiting in case you are keeping track. So now we are going to make the Cherry Jello packet similar to the previous jello in a separate mixing bowl follow the instructions except for the part about letting it set. This time however we are going to add half of the cool whip use your best judgment to measure this it doesn’t need to be exact. Using a whisk beak the two components together until it is nice and frothy then add it on top of the already set jello and spread it out evenly. Now once again put it in the fridge to set.

Here we go some more time on your hands to go and do something else might I suggest doing some of those chores you have been putting off OR you could continue to put them off and watch some television. TV is more entertaining anyway and the vacuuming can wait another day.

After about another hour and a bit you can resume this at step Six so before you go to the fridge and retrieve the jello parts stop. Pick up that knife that we put aside earlier and now take that second cup of strawberries and cut those into slices length wise you want to cut it so that they are shaped like tear drops not circles.

Let us put all those nicely cut berries aside and now is the time to go and retrieve the jello to begin Step 7. Now take the last half of that tub of cool whip and spread it evenly on top of the already set components. until the top is all white.

Time for the Final Step place the cut strawberries on the top of the cool whip to make your Canadian Flag. Remember that the maple leaf will have twelve points if you include the stem at the bottom one for each province and territory, this is obviously not including Nunavut but this is something from before they became a part of it.


Now lastly cut, eat and enjoy this yummy celebratory dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment