Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cooking Concoctions: Three Cheese Zucchini Stir Fry


As with the new format I developed I have decided that I would post my adventures in the kitchen on Thursdays instead of Fridays. The reason for this is actually two fold, the first reason being that cooking and posting on the same day is challenging. The second cause is because we are moving the cooking night from Friday to Saturday due to some new schedule conflicts that would take more time then I would like to explain. Also speaking of the new blog format this will be the last time that my cooking section will be called cooking concoctions.

One thing about the move that I think will be positive is for readership, I believe that most people who would better utilize my recipes before the weekend. Also the extra time in between cooking and actually completing the post give me the time to make sure that the writing is to a level that I am confident in.

The recipe I present to you today is a recipe that utilizes one of my favorite summer squashes, the vibrant green zucchini. This also a very healthy vegetarian dish that is relatively easy to make and can be made out of fresh produce from your local farmers market. By no means a vegetarian or vegan, I am a hundred percent omnivore and enjoy sinking my teeth into a slab of meat.

So this is my Three Cheese Zucchini Stir Fry

Let us begin with the ingredients

1 Zucchini Sliced
2 large Carrots Sliced
1 Large Red Pepper Chopped
½ A Red Onion Chopped
Tablespoon (or to taste) Parsley Chopped
½ cup of shredded mozzarella
½ cup shredded cheddar
¾ cup of parmesan cheese
1 cup of Orange Juice
2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
To taste Lemon Pepper
Salt and pepper
Cooking Oil









Serves 2-3
Prep time 15 min
Cook time 10 min

So after all of the vegetables have been cut down to size, place a skillet on the element add the cooking oil and bring up to high temperature. Once that is done pour in the orange juice, lemon juice, lemon pepper, salt and pepper followed by adding in the red onion and zucchini. Using a spatula or other cooking implement continuously move the contents of the skillet around to avoid burning while cooking. Cook until the zucchini and onion begin browning then add the carrots, red pepper and parsley continue cooking until the carrots become soft.

Remove the skillet and contents from heat and turn off the element, and then proceed to add the mozzarella, cheddar and ½ cup parmesan. At this stage continue stirring until cheese is all melty this is how you know it will be delicious. Dish up and add the remaining parmesan to the top of the dish, you can add more if you want to but I find this to be plenty.

This recipe makes a delightfully light summer meal that is wonderfully filling and good for your health. My favorite part of this dish is just how colourful it is and if you want to flush it out a little bit more you can add other large coloured peppers, this also makes it way more colourful.

Don’t forget to vote for the new name of my cooking section there are only a couple days left to vote so don’t forget to get your say in. In case you are wondering it is located in the upper part of the right side tool bar.

Hope you enjoy!

Sincerely Urban Yeti

No comments:

Post a Comment