Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dungeons and Resources: Elements of power

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Every good DM knows that it can be hard to come up with half decent loot all the time. Especially when your crew decides to raid every single dead body after decimating an army. Some DM's myself include love to keep their players and themselves on their toes with complete and utter randomness.
Some people turn to random Internet based random generators, or random loot tables to put a bit of chaos into a run. Myself being a more visual person I like to see a picture of an item, as a player an a DM when I pick up an item I like to describe the hell out of it. The more intricate the weapon the more I feel it flushes out a character.
So when I was browsing through my local gaming shop, Sentry Box, I cam across this very helpful little item. Upon finding it I thought I had natural 20ed my search check and discovered a hidden treasure trove. What I had discovered was deck of cards, but not just any deck of cards this was a magical deck filled with images of powerful weapons and items. The deck so rightfully boasted it's name to be, The Elements of Power
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
It turns out that a company called Paizo most famous in the table top community for its RPG called Pathfinder. This company may not be affiliated with the actual Dungeons and Dragons RPG but they are a very similar fantasy game so a lot of the resources can be used with any fantasy style campaign.
Now the cards themselves are pretty basic with just an image and a simple weapon name, with a space for notes on the back. This is very helpful because it allows for the DM to be in charge of the stats and effects of the item on the card. The images that are on the cards are very detailed which help if players are imagination impaired and also can help a DM to spice up his campaign, we all know that everyone's imaginations sometimes can get stuck in a rut.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I highly recommend that every group has a set of cards like this just to keep the game spicy and fresh. And who knows maybe the items on the cards have shady backgrounds. So order them here: http://paizo.com/products/btpy7yi6?GameMastery-Item-Cards-Elements-of-Power-Deck

No comments:

Post a Comment